Sunday, September 17, 2006

Tip

As a rule, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to giving tips. In restaurants I'll always leave one whether I've had good service or not. And I'll also leave one even if there's an automatic service charge. It's stupid but I hate the idea of being thought of as being 'tight'. And, hey, the waitress was probably doing her best and it's the bosses I really blame, etc. etc. Taxi drivers are the same: why on earth do I give them more than they've asked for? All they've done is drive me from A to B which, doh!, is their job! I've even tipped a plumber for coming round and fixing a leaky tap. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

No such problem in China though. We had a really good meal the other night in Chengdu and, like you do, we left a modest tip and thought no more about it as we left. We were a full two hundred yards down the street outside when we heard "Hallo! Hallo!" being shouted behind us. Here was our waitress clutching the twenty yuan note desperate to give it back. It's simply not the done thing here to leave tips. And I, for one, am very glad that that's the case.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello over there from Eindhoven over here; good God man but you seem to have settled in well; the place sounds great, good to hear you've 'hooked up' with some good people--always a bonus.

Paul sent me the bloglink, and I'll be dipping in regularly from the Occident to read more of your adventures over there. Can you post a pic of the painting you ended up buying? Am curious to see what your tastes are nowadays.

All the best, Gerry

8:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think 200 yards is impressive for returning a tip. In Tokyo once, I returned to the same bar (sad man) a full 24 hours later and before they would take my order for an Asahi, they insisted on returning the few thousand Yen (still only the British standard 10%) that I had left as a tip the previous night!

Love the Blog. Will make a mental note to visit more regularly and you are inspiring me to do something about life in Massachusetts for a Brit who endures taxation without representation!

Lots of love

Your Brother

4:34 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home