Wednesday, October 18, 2006

No smoking

It’s a myth that everyone smokes in China. Sure, it’s not like England where smoking is akin to being a Communist in fifties America. It’s okay to have a tab in the staff room at school, or to smoke in the corridor (although even that is unusual to be honest). Before I came, I had the impression that all teachers smoked in class too but I can now confirm that to be absolute bollocks.

It’s the same as being told before I came out here (Alan H, are you reading?) that I’d have to do ‘night soil’ – put the contents of your toilet bucket outside for collection and use as fertiliser. No, after more than two months, I’ve not had to do that. (Wait, though, for the inevitable blog entry on Chinese-style toilets in general: the sights and smells, the squatting, the very communal experience of it all…)

Buses are smoke-free. Planes, of course. Shops and offices generally too. Women, on the whole, don’t smoke – and if they do the word on the street is that they’re ‘on the game’. Strange, then, that Chinese men find it normal (expect, even) for western girls to smoke: you can see how their minds work.

In restaurants it’s okay to light up but, there too, you find it’s a small minority who choose to do so. It’s okay in taxis as well. In fact, drivers will often offer you one. Travel books tell you that smoking is so much a part of the culture that you’ll actually offend people by refusing the offer of a cigarette. More rubbish, I’m afraid.

On 23 January 2007 it’ll be two years for me without one. Happily, I don’t think living in China is going to change a thing on that front.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home